I am an associate professor (Reader) in the Institute for Language, Cognition and Computation (ILCC) at the
School of Informatics of the University of Edinburgh. I am also a part-time faculty at the Institute of Logic, Language and Computation of the University of Amsterdam.
My research interests are in natural language processing (incl. semantics and syntax) and machine learning.
My research is supported by personal grants (ERC Starting grant and NWO VIDI), as well as industrial funding / collaborations (incl. Google, SAP and Yandex).
I am an action editor for the journal of machine learning research (JMLR),
Transactions of ACL (TACL), a member of editorial board of JAIR, an advisory board member for European Chapter of ACL.
My other professional services include being a PC co-chair for *SEM 2016 and CoNLL 2018,
a senior area chair for ACL 2019,
an area chair for
at ACL 2016, EMNLP 2014, EACL 2012, ICLR 2017 and 2019 and NIPS 2017,
a senior PC member for IJCAI 2011.
I will be program co-chair for ICLR 2021.
- Ph.D. students:
Nicola De Cao,
Lena Voita, Bailin Wang, Yanpeng Zhao
- Past members:
Caio Filippo Corro (Post Doc, Associate Professor at LIMSI / Paris Sud) , Xinchi Chen (Post Doc, Amazon),
Jasmijn Bastings (Ph.D. student, now at Google),
Mikhail Kozhevnikov (Ph.D. student, now at Google),
Ashutosh Modi (Ph.D. student, now at Disney Research),
Alex Klementiev (post-doc, now at Amazon),
Diego Marcheggiani (Postdoc, Amazon) ,
Phong Le (Postdoc, U Manchester),
Minwoo Jeong (post-doc, at Microsoft),
Ehsan Khoddam (Elseiver)
Recent publications (Full list)
For a long list of papers (incl. pre-2018 articles) follow this link.
Recent teaching (Full list)
Previous Affiliations / Education
- Head of a Research Group / Junior Faculty (W2) at the Saarland University, Oct 2009 - Aug 2013
- Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Feb 2008 - Sep 2009 (working with Dan Roth)
- Ph.D. student (Research and Teachning Assistant) at University of Geneva, Nov 2003 - Jan 2008 (advised by James Henderson)
- Research Intern at Google (New York), Jul - Sep 2007 (with Ryan McDonald)
- Visiting Student at University of Edinburgh, Sep - Oct 2006
- MSc student in Applied Mathematics, St. Petersburg State Polytechnical University, Russia, 2001 - 2003 (advised by Nikolai Vassiliev)
- BSc student in Applied Mathematics, St. Petersburg State Polytechnical University, Russia, 1997 - 2001